Dec 16, 2017

Nine more women allege harassment by U.S. Court of Appeals judge

Ninth Circuit Appeals Court Judge Alex Kozinski. Photo: Justin Sullivan / Getty Images

Nine more women have come forward against a judge for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, Alex Kozinski, alleging inappropriate touching, and subjecting them "to sexual comments or other conduct," per a Washington Post report.

Why it matters: Several women had previously come forward against Kozinski; these nine new allegations bring the total to 15, the Post reports. The Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit has initiated a review of the allegations. Kozinski said in a statement that the allegations "are simply not true, but I deeply regret that my unusual sense of humor caused offense or made anyone uncomfortable."

  • A former U.S. Court of Federal Claims judge, Christine O.C. Miller, said Kozinski squeezed each of her breasts as they drove home from an event together. She says she rejected his proposal to stop at a motel and have sex
  • One lawyer said Kozinski kissed her unexpectedly when she was alone at a legal function, which she said was "particularly gross and unwelcome" because she was in her 50s.

Go deeper

Trump says he will campaign against Lisa Murkowski after her support for Mattis

Trump with Barr and Meadows outside St. John's Episcopal church in Washington, D.C. on June 1. Photo: Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images

President Trump tweeted on Thursday that he would endorse "any candidate" with a pulse who runs against Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska).

Driving the news: Murkowski said on Thursday that she supported former defense secretary James Mattis' condemnation of Trump over his response to protests in the wake of George Floyd's killing. She described Mattis' statement as "true, honest, necessary and overdue," Politico's Andrew Desiderio reports.

4 hours ago - World

The president vs. the Pentagon

Trump visits Mattis and the Pentagon in 2018. Photo: Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty

Over the course of just a few hours, President Trump was rebuffed by the Secretary of Defense over his call for troops in the streets and accused by James Mattis, his former Pentagon chief, of trampling the Constitution for political gain.

Why it matters: Current and former leaders of the U.S. military are drawing a line over Trump's demand for a militarized response to the protests and unrest that have swept the country over the killing of George Floyd by police.

New York Times says Tom Cotton op-ed did not meet standards

Photo: Avalon/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)

A New York Times spokesperson said in a statement Thursday that the paper will be changing its editorial board processes after a Wednesday op-ed by Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), which called for President Trump to "send in the troops" in order to quell violent protests, failed to meet its standards.

Why it matters: The shift comes after Times employees began a coordinated movement on social media on Wednesday and Thursday that argued that publishing the op-ed put black staff in danger. Cotton wrote that Trump should invoke the Insurrection Act in order to deploy the U.S. military against rioters that have overwhelmed police forces in cities across the country.