Jan 15, 2019
White House announces pared-down Davos delegation
The White House released a downsized list of four Trump Cabinet members that are still scheduled to attend the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland next week.
The big picture: The change is a result of the ongoing government shutdown. Though President Trump cancelled his plans to attend last week, an entourage of Cabinet members still wouldn't be a good look while furloughed federal employees aren't getting paid, as Axios' Alayna Treene and Jonathan Swan reported.
Cabinet members still attending:
- Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, who will lead the delegation
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
- Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross
- U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer
Those no longer making the trip:
- Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta
- Small Business Administrator Linda McMahon
- DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen
- Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao
Go deeper: All the ways Americans are feeling the effects of the shutdown