Paul Ryan touts defense funding in omnibus bill
House Speaker Paul Ryan said the $1.3 trillion, defense-friendly omnibus bill heading for a vote Thursday will create a "21st century fighting force" in the U.S.
Why it matters: The bill allocates $700 billion to defense funding for updated equipment and increases in staff. The Trump administration requested a major increase to defense funding earlier this year.
What's in the bill:
- $589.5 billion Pentagon base budget
- $65.2 billion overseas contingency operations budget
- $144.3 billion in military equipment spending
- $23.8 billion for 14 new navy ships
- $9.5 billion for the missile defense agency