Florida tightens gun laws in defiance of NRA
Why it matters: This marks the first legislative steps on gun control that Florida has taken in the aftermath of the Parkland school shooting, defying the NRA and setting a template for other states to follow.
What's in it:
- Three-day waiting period for all firearm purchases.
- Raises minimum age from 18 to 21.
- Bans sale of bump stocks.
- Allows judges to confiscate weapons from people deemed a threat.
- Hundreds of millions in funding for mental health and school security.
Important: The bill also creates a $67 million program for sheriffs to train gun-wielding school personnel on how to take down an active shooter.