May 13, 2017
Trump doesn't shy away from the Nixon comparisons
A "Nixonian week" in Washington, per the Financial Times' Courtney Weaver (paywall):
- "[T]he president invited reporters to witness his Oval Office meeting with Nixon White House veteran Henry Kissinger one day after Mr Comey's firing.
- "While other US leaders have shied away from Nixon parallels given the politician's fateful end, Mr Trump appears to have embraced the comparison, in some ways taking up Nixon's mantle, the Nixon scholar Douglas Brinkley said.
- "Trump met Nixon in 1989 when the two men attended a gala together in Houston and the New York real estate scion gave the former president a ride back on his plane to New York."
- "The current and former president share a fondness for folksy, salty language — with similarly negative views of the Washington elite and media."
- Brinkley: "He's long been Nixon inspired ... During his seminal years, Nixon was a powerful man.''