Sep 23, 2017
The state of Trump: fake news, Russia and winning
Trump last night referred to "Crooked Hillary" while talking about gun control, prompting the signature chant of his 2016 rallies: "Lock her up."
Trump: "You've got to speak to Jeff Sessions [former Alabama senator, now attorney general] about that."
- "I feel like I'm from Alabama, frankly."
- "We're going to be like your football teams. We're going to win all the time."
- Trump said he wants "a see-through wall" at the border, so citizens on the U.S. side can avoid falling sacks of drugs lobbed over by dealers' catapults.
- "Russia did not help me ... I didn't see too many Russians in Pennsylvania."
- He said "fake news" wouldn't show the crowd, as CNN and CNN International put him and the crowd in split screen.
- Pointing to his brain, Trump said he's "very good up here — always."
P.S. "Staff chafes at Kelly's style," by Ashley Parker and Phil Rucker on WashPost A1: "[S]ome staffers complain that [the White House chief of staff] may be growing his mandate too far and that his [militaristic style] stifles the creativity and spontaneity that have been hallmarks of Trump's enterprises."
- "As one of Kelly's subordinates put it, the chief of staff sometimes becomes 'a one-man choke point.'"
- "Kelly has required that Ivanka Trump, the president's oldest daughter, go through him first when she wants to speak with her father about anything involving the administration, a requirement she has so far followed."