Hot on the Hill
9 confirmation hearings this week
- Tuesday: Jeff Sessions (Justice) and John Kelly (Homeland)
- Wednesday: Rex Tillerson (State), Mike Pompeo (CIA), Betsy DeVos (Education), Elaine Chao (Transportation) and Wilbur Ross (Commerce)
- Thursday: Ben Carson (Housing and Urban Development) and Andrew Puzder (Labor)
Republicans want to get this ball rolling. "You can't kill four people in one day," one told Axios AM.
That still leaves:
- Gen. James Mattis, who just filed his disclosure forms. He's worth about $10M, and has deep financial ties to General Dynamics, the 4th-largest Pentagon contractor.
- Secretaries of Agriculture and Veterans Affairs. Former Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue is expected to nab the Ag slot, but crickets so far on the VA.
Any movement on Obamacare?
At least 7 Republicans are on the fence on Obamacare,
Axios reporter Caitlin Owens. That's a lot. Republicans can move legislation with just 50 votes, but with just 52 seats, they don't have much space to give.