Alex Brandon / AP
What we'll be listening for at 9 p.m. ET:
- The real state of our Union is unsettled — on edge. Does the president acknowledge that, and do anything to alleviate it?
- If he tries to break the ice with humor about himself, what trait does he choose?
- What will Trump say that's tailored directly to lawmakers, to balance the bulk of his speech, which'll be aimed beyond the chamber?
- Can Trump convince Republicans that there's a clear path to success on his big-ticket agenda items: health care, taxes, infrastructure?
- Will Democrats have a "You lie!" moment?
- How will Trump handle it?
- What will he say about Russia?
- What will he say about the media?
- How closely does he stick to the prompter?
- Does he deliver on aides' promise of a sunny speech?