10 protests scheduled for Trump's Phoenix rally
President Trump is hosting a campaign-style Make America Great Again rally in Phoenix tonight, where he will address some of his most enthusiastic supporters. But there will also be various protestors and anti-Trump groups outside of the convention center ahead of tonight's event.
Why it matters: From Charlottesville to Boston, the past two weeks have put the tense protests between white nationalists, free speech advocates and anti-racism counter protesters on full display. Tonight is an opportunity to address Trump country in a way that was successful for him throughout the campaign, and a way that he clearly enjoys given the number of campaign-style rallies he has hosted since winning the election. But the trove of counter protesters expected tonight will serve as a reminder to Trump and the country that tensions have not been resolved and may be getting worse.
- Why they're organizing: "White supremacist leader Donald Trump is coming back to Phoenix ... It will be his first public rally since his hate-filled rants...aligning himself with the Neo-nazis of Charlottesville. Come stand up for decency, equality, and good. Stand up for your children and the goodness in their hearts. Stand in solidarity with the brave people in Charlottesville. Stand up against bigotry, hate, white supremacy, Nazis, Islamophobia, transphobia, xenophobia."
- How many are attending: Approx. 4,100
- Why they're organizing: "Trump will be in Arizona and we want to send a very clear message that we will not pardon white supremacy the way he has done so with#Charlottesville and now with Joe #Arpaio. ... Show up and tell him he is not welcome and that we will never pardon white supremacist!"
- How many are attending: Approx. 2,800
- Why they're organizing: "In the hours before the Trump rally in Phoenix, we will make clear that we will not accept the false equivalency between neo-Nazis and peaceful protestors who oppose hate. We will not stand by as Nazism makes a resurgence in America."
- How many are attending: Approx. 271
- Why they're organizing: "President Donald Trump and Gov. Doug Ducey have made it clear that they are on the side of hate and bigotry this week. ... to denounce his hateful rhetoric at 8:00pm and will march from the Phoenix Convention Center to the Arizona State Capitol to rally against Confederate monuments that Gov.Ducey wont remove at 8:30!"
- How many are attending: Approx. 844
- Why they're organizing: "We will converge, in the spirit of solidarity and hostility to the current order, and as a physical body ready to act in self-defense and mutual protection of each other from cops, fascists, and liberal/radical 'peace police.'"
- How many are attending: N/A
- Why they're organizing: "With Trump visiting next Tuesday, I want to help drown out the hate groups that will make an appearance by showing up to the rally in cosplay. If you also plan to show up by yourself or with a group in costume, thank you! Goals: Protest peacefully; Empower people with positive imagery; Keep the energy up, nothing beats Captain American standing on your side against Nazis!"
- How many are attending: Approx. 59
- Why they're organizing: "This is a solidarity event for targeted communities and families with children that want to do something on this historic day but don't want to be in the middle of the action. We honor those who are willing and able to show up on the front lines and equally honor those with a lot more to lose - such as people of color, the undocumented, DACA recipients, DREAMERS, other minority groups, and those who feel negative emotions so deeply."
- How many are attending: Approx. 77
- Why they're organizing: "Tell Trump that Heather's positive intentions were in no way equivalent to those of the racists and bigots present at the rally in Charlottesville.Let him know that what Heather wanted, what the 1000 people at Heather's memorial service wanted, and what YOU want is EQUALITY."
- How many are attending: Approx. 28
- Why they're organizing: "There have been plans for Charlottesville sympathizers to protest. We need our bikers to show up and keep people safe. ... If there are people outside waiting to get in I don't want anyone to harrass them. Protesters have a right to protest, but they don't have a right to threaten or intimidate. That is why we need to be there."
- How many are attending: Approx. 92
- Why they're organizing: "Join President Donald J. Trump for a rally in Phoenix, AZ"
- How many are attending: Approx. 42